Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Settling In


Every day, in the new house I inhabit, there is a set of stairs that goes one flight up to the bathroom I use. In the morning, the stairs creek so loudly is causes me to jump, but by the afternoon they're the same as any other surface in the house. The older I get, the more this is my experience with new places. The stairs are wood. They settle by the end of the day from frequent traffic, but since they're organic, they expand and detract all night. Wood is durable, pliable, easy to attach to itself, and sturdy. It also creeks as it ages.


If you don't already know, I've just recently started an internship with YWAM Winnipeg. This is the third YWAM base I'll live on for any time longer then a month or so. I'm learning that it's not really in my nature to enjoy change, but I've had so much of it over the last going on 4 years. I'm excited to understand a new way of doing things. The base here is a home. It's a building split in two, one half with the directors (also pastor of the Little Flowers community that's woven in), the other half a communal space of those in the Little Flowers community. So far, it reinforces the tradition of no YWAM base being alike.

Little Flowers is ambiguous. The pastor, a fellow INTJJamie Arpin-Ricci, also co-leads the YWAM base with his wife Kim. the community, both lives here and in the neighborhood around. They live within and without, made up of former and current YWAMers, Christians in the neighborhood, and even those who seek to embody Christ but don't yet call Him savior. Nothing ends or begins rigidly. In the same way, it is very much like the church, and very much like life. the refreshing bit: They're upfront about it.

I'm learning where the cups and bowls go, what groceries to buy, how to live life together in a house with 6ish people, and what's in store for these next three months. It's an interesting process. This is the many-est time in the last bit that I've learned a new community. I feel like if anything I'm becoming forcibly flexible by time and places. I'm excited to see what Christ is bringing. I'm afraid to see the challenges I'll create for myself. I'm hopeful to see what a community in this context brings.

Things you can be praying for:

•Adjustment: I'm in a new context, and I have a new purpose. I'm getting used to a new environment, and excited to meet new people. As I face obstacles and opportunities that can't be solved behind a Twitter handle or a newsletter, pray that Christ equip me with the words to say, and the actions to live out.

•Boldness: Much of the internship is built in a way that leaves the life in our hands. I'm surprisingly worried about this. Being in San Francisco, there were a lot of questions I didn't have to ask myself about the poverty and brokenness around me since I was privileged to help in a more supportive role. I've seen as much to know the gap in economics when you can't simply ask someone what they do and expect a straight answer, but now I have to know what to ask. Pray that Christ would further break down downfall in these hierarchies our society creates.

•Finances: I've raised half the amount I need for the internship so far, which is great. But I still need finances to make sure I can continue on. I pay each section each month. I've you feel led to donate, you can do that right here.


I'm so excited for this next season of stretching and change. Christ has lead me to the West End of Winnipeg for a purpose.  Now let's find out what that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment