Saturday, January 14, 2012

Not The Same Old Usual

Luke 18:18-23 ESV:
"..And a ruler asked him, "Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone. You know the commandments: 'Do not commit adultery, Do not murder, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother.'" And he said, "All these I have kept from my youth." When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "One thing you still lack. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me." But when he heard these things, he became very sad, for he was extremely rich."
All my life I've heard this story, but every time I get new revelation from it.  This time I'm reminded of what we can perceive as 'obvious' sins versus true rightstanding with God.
In the past, it was easy for me, as the man in the story, to justify myself by the things I wasn't doing to demonstrate rightstanding with God.  I wasn't stealing, always tithed, wasn't angry, etc.  But here, Jesus peeps away a layer of our life, and shows us that it's not about the things we do, but our position towards God. 
Sure, the man looked like he had everything going, but Jesus sees him coming and, in seeing that he's all about representation, makes a point even to say that no one is good but God.  Jesus sees his heart, and wants to be sure that it's not about what you do or say about God.  Instead, when faced with the man's percieved righteousness, he gives him a task much harder than the standard he holds himself up to.  Not to say none can see God, but to show that we can't receive wholeness from our own hands, only as a gift when we have a Love for the Creator that is willing to push all odds. 
Later in the chapter, Jesus' disciples mention that it must be impossible for anyone to be in rightstanding.  He responds, "What is impossble for man, God makes possible."
Even though we are flawed, incapable of being in the right place fully, God wants us to know, it's not about our goodness or perfection.  It's about our pursuance, it's about Him, not us.  He makes a way for mankind to be whole, not by their vain perceptions of what is right and wrong, but even defying law, in His grace, that man can be reconciled by His Love to fullness.
I think that's a beautiful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment